BULLETIN: Doug Ireland Is Dead at 67 - gaycitynews.com | gaycitynews.com

BULLETIN: Doug Ireland Is Dead at 67

Doug Ireland, 1946-2013.

Doug Ireland, 1946-2013.

BY PAUL SCHINDLER | Doug Ireland, a journalist and activist who came of age in the New Left politics of the 1960s and whose interests and professional pursuits ranged from foreign and domestic politics to literature and philosophy, died in his East Village home on October 26.

He was 67 years old, and, according to his longtime friend Valerie Goodman, had suffered in recent years from the after-effects of childhood polio and from diabetes and severe sciatica. Though no cause of death has yet been established, Ireland had at least two major strokes over the past several years.

Goodman, one of the few intimates who spent time with him in recent years while he felt too ill to leave his apartment or have company, said she was contacted by the NYPD after Ireland’s body was found in his home.

Despite chronic, at times debilitating pain and frequent hospitalizations, Ireland remained a dogged reporter and book critic in recent years, writing articles for nearly every issue of Gay City News –– where he has been the international contributing editor –– since mid-2005 and also reporting on American politics for French-language publications in France.

Gay City News is preparing a full remembrance of Doug’s life.

13 Responses to BULLETIN: Doug Ireland Is Dead at 67

1. jeburke242 October 27, 2013 at 8:10 pm

I knew Doug and worked closely with him in politics in the 60s and 70s. An outstanding mind, a determined reformer, a skilled journalist, and an always reliable friend. A great wit too. He will be missed.

2. Pingback: Doug Ireland, R.I.P. | a paper bird

3. Pingback: Gay Journalist Doug Ireland Dies At 67 | Bulgebull.com Blog

4. Pingback: Journalist Doug Ireland Dies at 67 | Bulgebull.com Blog

5. Andrew Miller October 28, 2013 at 9:37 am

R.I.P.

6. Don Weise October 28, 2013 at 11:43 am

Doug was unlike any journalist I know. What he wrote about, how he approached his subject matter, his political radicalism front and center in the most meaningful way, I loved reading him in Gay City News. But I also looked forward to his emails, which were equally a pleasure to read for they too had all the markings that made his journalism outstanding. He recently devoted a full page in GCN to a new book I published, a biography of Gore Vidal, whom he admired tremendously. As with Vidal, Doug was one of a kind, to put it mildly, and the loss therefore hard for me to process. I'll miss him too.

7. Simon Forbes October 28, 2013 at 12:54 pm

This is very sad news and I am sure he will be missed greatly by all who knew him. He was a brilliant writer, interviewer and campaigning journalist and is a great loss. I feel there is so much more that I should say that was good about the man.

8. michael james October 28, 2013 at 1:09 pm

I remember his research papers that were mimeographed and sent out by SDS and ERAP. Thanks for all your good work Doug.

9. Pingback: Décès du journaliste et militant gay Doug Ireland | Yagg

10. Pingback: Journalist Doug Ireland Dies at 67 | Safe Schools | Desert Cities

11. oblogdeeoblogda October 31, 2013 at 5:46 pm

A loss indeed. R.I.P. Doug.

12. chris dougherty November 2, 2013 at 3:15 pm

one of those fine human beings who touched your life instantly when you met him the greatest sadness, is that it was so difficult to get a hold of him in these last years I personally started missing Doug a long time ago where were his friends to help him out? stay with him care for him in his debilitating days he should be here now this is so unjust so unfair one of those rare people of whom one can say as long as he is in the world I am not alone and now a memory, vivid and exact, but a memory, like the democratic republic itself!

13. Pingback: Our Dear Friend Doug Ireland Is Dead at 67 | Gays Without Borders