Civil unions are reserved only for same-sex couples only.

Same-sex couples seeking a civil union are required to visit a town clerk’s office and pick up a civil union license application.

Legal ceremonies can be conducted by anyone who currently performs marriages, including justices of the peace, ordained clergy and judges.

Neither partner can be currently married or in a civil union elsewhere.

Civil unions performed elsewhere involving at least one state resident may be considered valid.

Same-sex marriages performed in other states or nations are not valid in Connecticut.

The legislation doesn’t specify whether couples who join in a civil union in other states, such as Vermont, must annul their unions to obtain one from Connecticut.